Asking the right questions
We all respond to things in different ways and sometimes look back on a situation and wish we could change how we reacted. This type of self-awareness is something that can be explored within a coaching session by asking the right questions and helping your clients explore the triggers that cause certain behavior patterns or responses.
By asking the right questions, you can help them unlock the awareness they need to help them see how they would normally respond to different types of situations and what their triggers are. Then by discussing what they would like to change, you can explore how they would like to respond if they had the opportunity and practice all of this in the safe space of the coaching session. They will then learn to develop a new approach, so they tackle the things that may be holding them back from achieving their full potential.
Suggested discussion points
Our community of international coaches have identified a range of recurring themes that may help when you are asking the right questions within your coaching sessions. These suggested discussion points will be of most help when you are supporting individuals during one-to-one coaching sessions.
Here are some of the things clients said they wanted to focus on during their coaching session:
- Talk openly about both their professional and personal life
- Find motivation or define a new life goal or project
- Feel liberated from emotional blocks or negative emotions
- Believe in themselves and eliminate inner voices or inner conflict
- Break free from limiting beliefs and recurring negative scripts
- Develop self-confidence or self-esteem
- Resolve conflicts and manage stress or stressful situations
- Develop communication and interpersonal skills
- Feel empowered to become the very best version of themselves
As a professional coach, you need to be able to ask the right questions and gain trust quickly so you can focus on any key information relevant to the issue at hand. Then use the fresh insight your questions unlock to unleash the creativity your clients need to search for the right answers. This will help them capitalize on the resources they already have available and build a positive and creative mindset so they can remove any barriers to their success in life that slow may them down or hold them back.
You can learn how to ask the right questions with our essential Coaching Manual:
- Ebook: The Coaching Manual – With 185 questions, fables, worksheets and tools, this comprehensive coaching manual will help you run successful coaching sessions. We have also included an introduction to Neuro Linguistic Programming and Transactional Analysis.
Please note – Please include a reference and link back to this original blog if you wish to copy or share anything we have written: (cc) MyCoachingToolkit.com – 2022