Effective one-to-one coaching can really help your clients identify their natural talents and leverage any existing strengths they may not always be unaware of. And then by asking the right questions, you can help them focus on the actions and outcomes that develop into detailed step-by-step action plans. However self-awareness is where true growth happens.
With your help, your clients can enhance their personal performance and build awareness so they understand their response to difficult situations. Using the right questions to unlock this awareness during a coaching session, helps them learn to control their emotions. They will also learn to develop a new approach, so they can tackle the things that hold them back from achieving their full potential.
Our community of international coaches have identified a range of recurring themes when supporting individuals during one-to-one coaching sessions.
Here are some of the things clients said they wanted to focus on during their coaching session:
- Talk openly about both their professional and personal life
- Find motivation or define a new life goal or project
- Feel liberated from emotional blocks or negative emotions
- Believe in themselves and eliminate inner voices or inner conflict
- Break free from limiting beliefs and recurring negative scripts
- Develop self-confidence or self-esteem
- Resolve conflicts and manage stress or stressful situations
- Develop communication and interpersonal skills
- Feel empowered to become the very best version of themselves
Your Coaching Style
Whatever your coaching style or specialism, you will fully succeed if you are able to create an atmosphere of trust and collaboration within your one-to-one coaching sessions. This is normally based on the fundamental belief that your clients can find their own solution. But with your help through techniques like active questioning to identify and overcome the obstacles that hinder their progress and any success.
In your role as a coach, you will:
- Encourage – to get your clients out of their comfort zone and explore new behavior
- Empower – so they can find their own solution
- Support – to identify smart objectives and achieve goals
- Stimulate – their personal and professional development
Your coaching style promotes the development of solutions to remove the brakes, use and capitalize on the resources available and facilitate a positive and creative mindset.
Example coaching process
We know every client will be different. However this example coaching process sets out the key steps and stages you will normally follow during your one-to-one coaching sessions.
If you would like to learn how to support your clients during their one-to-one coaching sessions, check out our Coaching Manual in the online shop:
- The Coaching Manual – With over 150 questions, plus fables, worksheets and tools for successful coaching sessions. This manual also includes an introduction to Neuro Linguistic Programming and Transactional Analysis.
We have published a full range of resources specifically aimed at supporting you as a professional coach:
- Circle of influence – Taking back control
- Wheel of life – Introduction Workshop
- Coaching Personal Development – Virtual Game
We constantly add content to the site, so please check our on-line shop and look at the full range of games, ebooks and kits. Or read some of the other blog posts written by our team of international coaches.
Join our community
As a new online resource centre, we welcome members from all over the World. Therefore, we would love to connect with you on social media, via our pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. So no matter what you want to chat to us about, please remember to engage, like, share and join our community.
Image: Thanks to Stephanie Pombo for sharing their work on Pexels.
Please note – Our materials can only be copied and distributed, if you include a reference and link to the original source: (cc) MyCoachingToolkit.com – 2020